New Moon Psychotherapy offers online therapy to youth, adults, and couples in Ontario. Online therapy is a convenient way to access therapy services because you can be anywhere in Ontario to receive quality support for the challenges that you’re experiencing.
Sometimes this service is referred to as Online Counselling, Virtual Therapy, Telehealth, or Teletherapy.
Benefits of Online Therapy
In 2020 therapy quickly shifted online and therapists learned that the same evidence-based therapies that were once delivered in-person could be effectively delivered virtually with the added benefit of accessibility and convenience. Consistently the feedback we’ve received is that clients love meeting virtually and prefer it to in-person services.
Here are some reasons clients have shared with us for preferring online therapy:
- No travel time
- ideal for those who lead busy lives and might otherwise find it difficult to make appointments
- more time to spend on the things that are important in your life (work, school, family)
- no concern for severe weather or traffic affecting your commute
- Access to specialized services which may not be available in your community
- Comfort of joining from one’s own space where pets and comforting items are within reach
- Saved costs associated with time off work, transportation, and parking costs
- Ability to implement skills in the environment you are most likely to need them
Not only do clients like online therapy, there is a lot of research that supports the effectiveness of online therapy and shows that it is equally as effective as in-person therapy.
How Does it Work?
At New Moon Psychotherapy, online therapy is offered using Jane, a video conferencing platform. This platform is similar to Zoom or Face Time but is private, secure, and complies with the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA).
Thirty (30) minutes before your appointment start time, you will receive an email with a link to access your appointment. As long as you have a computer, smartphone, or tablet and access to WIFI or wired internet, you will be able to access your appointment.
If securing an internet connection is difficult, services can also be offered via telephone.
While the idea of meeting on video conference might feel uncomfortable, clients typically report greater comfort with video conferencing. Video conferencing offers the added benefit of communication through body language which can reduce confusion and misunderstandings.
To learn more and to get started with online therapy, please contact us today.